Thursday, October 10, 2013

National Child Health Day this week!


Dr. Michael Bowman with MUSC presented at Jennie Moore Elementary this week for National Child Health Day. This is another great opportunity for physicians who have adopted schools to get involved!  Please read this recap from Dr. Bowman about his experience:
                              

It appears to be a very well-kept secret that the first Monday of October is recognized nationally as “Child Health Day”.  It apparently started in the 1930s in May each year and was then moved to October in the 60’s.  I was asked to give a talk to a group of students at Jennie Moore School in Mount Pleasant this week, on October 7th, as a part of their recognition of that day.  I went after school to see kids involved in “Kaleidoscope”, the Charleston school district’s after-school program for students at over 50 schools.  (How many of you know that the Title 1 schools in CHS now serve “dinner” to the kids in the after-school program?  Students can now get three meals a day at their school, so it’s another place to work to improve menus and teaching about healthy choices for food consumption as well as promoting physical activity.  Consider trying to get someone from food services to be involved in your school’s wellness committee.) 

I have given many talks to providers and caregivers, but only a few to students.  I strongly encourage our team members to offer to talk to students about health.  My talk was to be a half-hour or so.  I talked about health in general, growth/development/learning, safety, exercise/activity, health conditions and taking care of yourself, and making good choices.  The kids had way many more questions and comments (“my mom was in a car accident and went through the windshield—now she has a scar beside her nose”) than I had minutes.  After the talk, one girl quietly came up to say “I have dyslexia”.  Already I had asked who has asthma and found that 10-15% of them do.  A boy came up to ask what made me decide to do Pediatrics as my career.  They were enthusiastic and seemed interested.  At 4 p.m., they all stayed awake, too.  I found it really rewarding and encourage you to consider finding a time when you can not only participate in health fairs, but also find a venue and topic to talk to the kids directly.  One of the nurses I work with did a wonderful job of steering me to a MUCH more kid-friendly slide format than what I am used to using!  Last May I gave a talk at another school about tobacco risks.  They, too, were excited and respectful (about 50 5th graders).  It’s a bit intimidating at first, but go for it.  The nurses and teachers REALLY appreciate our involvement, as do the students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment